Thursday, July 14, 2011

Material Fact: Model Magic on Canvas/Canvas Fabric Material

If you're a mixed media artist that wants to try something a little unique with Model Magic, then I think I have an idea of how to use it.

I'm working on the Deadly Sin "Envy" at the moment and I wanted to sculpt out some green eyes with Model Magic. From what my tests are revealing, you might have to find a way of improvising a little. I've done 2 squares.

Tip:

I strongly suggest, as a professional artist, NOT to use Model Magic because it's another version of Play-Doh for kids. I'm using Model Magic because it's easy to use sculpt, it air dries overnight, and it has different colors.

I'm doing a 2-Day experiment with the Model Magic and the Canvas Fabric Material to see if the Model Magic will stick on the canvas perminantly.

DAY #1






  • For Square #1, I shaped a piece of Model Magic and used Liquitex Matte Medium, as glue, on the back and placed it on the canvas fabric material. This was done before the Model Magic was air dried.








  • For Square #2, I took another piece of Model Magic and shaped it. That will be let out to air dry overnight and I'll then apply Liquitex Matte Medium, as glue on the back and see how it will adhere to the canvas fabric material.



DAY #2



  • For Square #1, the Model Magic firmly stayed on the canvas fabric material perminantly.

  • For Square #2, the Model Magic dried and I tried gluing it with the Liquitex Matte Medium and it did not stay on. It had stick to the canvas fabric material, but it did not stay on for very long.




My conclusion for this experiement is the Square #1 proved to work by shaping the Model Magic and then add Liquitex Matte Medium while the Model Magic was still soft and shapable. So, before the Model Magic air dries, make sure you apply the Liquitex Matte Medium on the Model Magic then.








Fact: Model Magic




To be honest, I prefer NOT to use this material because it's a child's toy and it's mainly used for arts and crafts. Howerver, I will say that this should be the very last resort if you plan to go into art as a career choice. If for some reason that you have to resort to this, then that's fine. The benefit of using this material is that it's not messy at all, it air dries overnight, and when you sculpt something out of it, it's very soft and squishy like a sponge. You can also add some water to it like regular sculpting clay if it's needed.




Not only that, it comes in many different colors and it's very inexpensive to work with. As a professional, I strongly stay away from something like this. The only time that this would be appropriate is if you sculpt it in a professional matter and also you have a project that is due on a specific date and need to save time.




Again, this is a personal opinion and I'm coming from a professional stand point of view. My personal reason for using Model Magic for "Envy" is save time, not have a huge mess to clean up, and minipulate what I want on my artwork.







I hope this helps^^

No comments:

Post a Comment